Do you need to add new rows and columns to an Excel spreadsheet quickly? Learn 10 essential keyboard shortcuts to get the job done quickly and easily! You can save valuable time and become an Excel pro in no time.
Keyboard shortcut for creating a new row
When it comes to adding a new row in Excel, using keyboard shortcuts can be a quick and efficient solution. By pressing a few keys, you can insert a new row wherever you need it in your spreadsheet without having to use your mouse.
Here is a guide on how to use keyboard shortcuts to add a new row in Excel:
- Select the row above or below where you want to insert the new row.
"Ctrl" + "+"on your keyboard.
- In the “Insert” dialog box that appears, select “Entire row” if it’s not already selected.
- Click “OK” to insert the new row.
- If you want to insert multiple rows, select the same number of rows above or below where you want to insert them.
- Press “Ctrl” + “+” and select “Entire rows” in the “Insert” dialog box.
Using keyboard shortcuts to add a new row can be particularly useful when you’re working on a large spreadsheet and need to add new information quickly. To make the most of your use of keyboard shortcuts, try to keep your hands on the keyboard as much as possible, and avoid reaching for your mouse. Incorporating keyboard shortcuts, like this one, can help streamline your work and save you time in the long run.
If you’re interested in learning more shortcuts for Excel, check out “19 Excel Shortcuts for Navigating Worksheets Like a Pro.”
Image credits: chouprojects.com by Adam Jones
Keyboard shortcut for creating a new column
Creating new columns in Excel can be time-consuming, but with keyboard shortcuts, you can simplify the process. Here’s a guide on how to create a new column using a simple keyboard shortcut:
- Select the cell in the column to the right of where you want the new column.
- Press and hold the “Ctrl” key on your keyboard.
- While holding the “Ctrl” key, press the “+” key.
- Release both keys simultaneously.
- The new column will appear to the left of the selected cell.
By using this keyboard shortcut, you can quickly add new columns to your Excel worksheet without having to navigate through multiple menus.
It’s important to note that this keyboard shortcut only works for adding new columns one at a time. If you need to add multiple columns at once, you can select multiple cells before using the shortcut.
Overall, knowing Excel keyboard shortcuts can significantly improve your productivity and save time.
Don’t miss out on the benefits of using Excel efficiently. Learn more about Excel shortcuts by checking out “19 Excel Shortcuts for Navigating Worksheets Like a Pro“.
Image credits: chouprojects.com by Joel Duncun
Alternative methods for creating new rows and columns
As an alternative to the usual mouse-click method, there are several other ways to quickly create new rows and columns in Excel. Here’s a step-by-step guide to exploring these alternative methods:
- To insert a new row, select an existing one and use the shortcut
"Ctrl" + "Shift" + "+"or right-click and select “Insert.” To insert a new column, select an existing one and use the shortcut
" Ctrl" + "Spacebar"or right-click and select “Insert.”
- Another way to insert a new row or column is by using the ribbon. Select the row or column where you want the new one to appear, then go to the “Home” tab and click “Insert.” Choose “Insert Sheet Rows” or “Insert Sheet Columns.”
- You can also use the keyboard shortcut
"Ctrl" + "Alt" + "+ "to bring up the “Insert” dialog box, where you can choose to insert a new row or column.
- To quickly add multiple new rows or columns, select the same number of existing ones and use one of the above methods. This will add as many new rows or columns as you selected.
- Finally, if you prefer to use the mouse, right-click on the row or column where you want to add a new one and select “Insert.” This will bring up the same options as using the ribbon.
One unique detail to note is that using keyboard shortcuts can save you considerable time in the long run. And don’t forget to check out our article on “19 Excel Shortcuts for Navigating Worksheets Like a Pro” for more time-saving tips.
Pro Tip: Remember that if you want to insert a new row or column at the very beginning or end of your worksheet, you can use the
"Ctrl" + "Shift" + "+" or
"Ctrl" + "Spacebar" shortcuts without selecting an existing row or column.
Image credits: chouprojects.com by Joel Duncun
FAQs about 10 Keyboard Shortcuts For Creating New Rows And Columns In Excel
What are the 10 Keyboard Shortcuts for Creating New Rows and Columns in Excel?
The 10 keyboard shortcuts for creating new rows and columns in Excel are:
- Ctrl + Shift + + for inserting a new row or column
- Ctrl + Shift + = for inserting a new column only
- Alt + I + R for inserting a new row
- Ctrl + Spacebar for selecting entire column
- Shift + Spacebar for selecting entire row
- Ctrl + Shift + Arrow Key for selecting adjacent columns or rows
- Ctrl + Shift + L for inserting a filter and enabling the filter drop-down arrows
- Ctrl + 0 for hiding selected columns
- Ctrl + 9 for hiding selected rows
- Ctrl + Shift + 9 for un-hiding selected rows