- The “Item Not Available in Library” error in Excel may occur when a user tries to access an add-in that is not installed or enabled on their system. This error can be frustrating for users, especially when it prevents them from performing essential tasks.
- The reasons for the error can vary, ranging from issues with the add-in itself to problems with the installation process. Some of the most common causes of the error include outdated add-ins, missing or corrupted files, and conflicts with other software or programs.
- To troubleshoot the issue, users should first check if the add-in is installed and enabled in Excel. If it is not, they should download and install it from the Microsoft AppSource store. Alternatively, users may need to update the add-in to its latest version to ensure compatibility with their system.
Are you struggling to figure out how to find items that are not available in your library in Excel? Look no further. In this article, you’ll learn the steps to locate items not in the library and different methods of finding them quickly.
Understanding the issue
To comprehend the solution for the “Item Not Available in Library in Excel” error, let’s explore the ‘Understanding the issue’ section. This section has two sub-sections:
- What is the “Item Not Available in Library” error?
- Reasons for the error.
Knowing the source of the problem and its meaning will help us address it with assurance and effectiveness.
Image credits: chouprojects.com by Adam Washington
What is the “Item Not Available in Library” error?
Excel is a popular data analysis and management tool, but sometimes users encounter an issue where they see the error message “Item Not Available in Library“. This means that a certain file or item within Excel cannot be found in its designated library. This can be frustrating as it can prevent users from accessing important data and may cause delays in their work.
The “Item Not Available in Library” error commonly occurs when there is a broken link between an Excel workbook and its associated content, such as charts, tables, or macros. This can happen when these files are moved to a different location on the computer or if they are renamed. It can also occur if the file has been deleted or corrupted.
One unique detail about this error is that it often goes unnoticed until the user tries to access the missing item within the workbook. This can be confusing for those who have multiple workbooks with linked content.
One user shared their experience with this issue where they had created a dashboard with links to several other worksheets. After saving and closing the file, they realized that one of the linked worksheets had been deleted by mistake. When they reopened the dashboard, they were confronted with the “Item Not Available in Library” error. They were able to resolve it by simply updating the link with the correct file location.
Finding out Excel can’t help you with your commitment issues is just one of the reasons behind the error.
Reasons for the error
This error may arise due to various reasons, including missing add-ins or corrupt installations, unsupported file formats, outdated Excel versions, or limited user access. Insufficient disk space can also contribute to this issue.
In some cases, the problem might also emerge if the Excel file you are trying to open has been deleted or moved from its original location. In such situations, the library won’t be able to recognize the file and will show an Item Not Available error message.
To resolve this issue, try updating your Excel version or reinstalling add-ins and plugins that might be causing conflicts. Check the file format and make sure it is compatible with your version of Excel. You can also allocate more storage space on your system to prevent storage-related errors.
It is advisable to keep a backup of important files and perform regular maintenance checks on your systems to prevent issues before they arise.
Users have reported encountering this issue while working with third-party applications that are not fully integrated with Excel libraries or when attempting to access files shared across multiple online platforms.
I thought Excel was supposed to be good at organizing things, but apparently it can’t even find its own library items.
Troubleshooting the issue
Having trouble with “Item Not Available in Library in Excel” add-ins? Check if it’s installed and activated. If not, update it! Understand the issue quickly and easily with these sub-sections.
Image credits: chouprojects.com by Yuval Jones
Check if the add-in is installed and enabled
To resolve the issue of ‘Item Not Available in Library in Excel’, it is crucial to confirm whether the add-in is installed and enabled or not.
Here is a 5-Step Guide to check if the add-in is installed and enabled:
- Go to File tab and click on Options.
- Select Add-Ins from the left-side panel.
- From Manage, choose COM Add-ins, and then click on Go.
- In the COM Add-ins dialog box, make sure that the checkbox representing the add-in you want to use is selected.
- Click OK to return to your worksheet.
It may also be essential to verify that you have permission for accessing SharePoint sites or libraries.
Pro Tip: Ensure that you update your Microsoft Office suite regularly, as outdated versions might cause errors leading to such issues. If Excel add-ins were people, updating them would be the equivalent of sending them for a spa day – it refreshes their looks and makes them more efficient.
Update the add-in if it is outdated
When encountering the issue of ‘Item Not Available in Library‘ in Excel, it is often recommended to update the add-in in case it’s outdated. Without updating, the tool may fail to work efficiently.
Here’s a simple 4-step guide on how to update:
- Open the Microsoft Store.
- Click on the three-dot icon and select ‘Downloads and Updates.‘
- Select ‘Get Updates‘ and check if there are any pending updates for Excel or its Add-ins.
- If there are available updates, click ‘Update‘ for each of them and restart Excel once done.
It’s vital to note that regularly updating your add-ins minimizes compatibility issues and enhances efficiency when using Excel.
A pro tip is to always check for available updates frequently instead of waiting until a problem arises. This prevents any unexpected errors, especially when working with real-time data or time-sensitive tasks.
Five Facts About “Item Not Available in Library in Excel”:
- ✅ “Item Not Available in Library in Excel” error message may appear when trying to use an undefined variable in a macro or VBA code. (Source: Excel Easy)
- ✅ This error may also occur when using the function name that does not exist in Excel. (Source: Ablebits)
- ✅ Updating or repairing Microsoft Office can often solve the “Item Not Available in Library in Excel” error. (Source: MS Office Help)
- ✅ Alternatively, manually unregistering and re-registering the affected DLL files may fix this issue. (Source: Softpedia)
- ✅ Regularly updating Excel and checking for compatibility issues with add-ins or macros can help prevent this error. (Source: Excel Campus)
FAQs about Item Not Available In Library In Excel
Why do I get an error message ‘Item not available in library’ in Excel?
If you receive an error message “Item not available in library” when attempting to open an Excel file or add-in, it usually means that the file or add-in is missing, corrupt, or not compatible with your version of Excel.
How can I fix the ‘Item not available in library’ error in Excel?
To fix the “Item not available in library” error in Excel, try the following solutions:
- Update Excel to the latest version.
- Check if the file or add-in is missing or corrupt, and reinstall if necessary.
- Check the compatibility of the file or add-in with your version of Excel.
- Disable any conflicting add-ins or macros in Excel.
What should I do if the item is still not available after trying the solutions?
If the item is still not available in the library after trying the above solutions, try the following:
- Restart Excel and try again.
- Reboot your computer and try again.
- Try opening the file or add-in on a different computer or version of Excel.
- Contact Microsoft support for further assistance.
How can I prevent the ‘Item not available in library’ error?
To prevent the “Item not available in library” error, try the following:
- Regularly update your version of Excel to the latest version.
- Regularly back up your files and add-ins to prevent loss or corruption.
- Use trusted sources when downloading or installing files and add-ins in Excel.
- Disable any unnecessary add-ins or macros in Excel.
Can a corrupted file cause the ‘Item not available in library’ error in Excel?
Yes, a corrupted file can cause the “Item not available in library” error in Excel. In such cases, try to repair or reinstall the file to resolve the issue.
Is it possible to recover a missing or corrupted Excel file or add-in?
Yes, it may be possible to recover a missing or corrupted Excel file or add-in using Excel’s auto-recovery feature or third-party recovery software. However, the success of the recovery depends on the extent of the damage to the original file or add-in.