Are you looking for a quick way to insert a column in an Excel sheet? You’re in luck! Follow this guide to learn how to insert a column using the keyboard shortcut, saving you time and energy.
Keyboard Shortcut to Insert Column in Excel
Want to insert a new column in Excel quickly? Follow these steps!
- Select the column next to where you want to add a new one.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + +.
These keyboard shortcuts let you easily modify your Excel spreadsheets.
Step 1: Select the Column beside where you want to Insert a new Column
When inserting a new column in Excel, the first step is to select the column beside where you want the new column to be placed.
Here’s a quick 3-step guide to selecting the column beside where you want to insert a new column:
- Hover over the top of the column header that’s right next to where you want your new column.
- Click on the highlighted letter of that column.
- Now, your selected cell will have a bold outline around it.
It’s important to mention that if your sheet has data that goes beyond the point of the displayed columns and rows, you will need to scroll right or down before you can click on your desired cell.
When preparing an Excel sheet for data input or analysis, taking advantage of shortcut keys can save time and streamline workflows.
Once upon a time, there was a data analyst who had been using Microsoft Excel for years but was never fully aware of how much time he could save by using keyboard shortcuts. One day, while creating reports, another colleague noticed how slowly he was working and showed him how easy it is to use shortcuts like “Ctrl + Shift + +” (plus sign) instead of manually inserting columns through menus.
The analyst immediately started using this shortcut and his productivity increased by almost 20%! From that day forward, he made it a point always to search for useful keyboard shortcuts online and incorporate them into his workflow whenever possible.
Save time and skip the hassle of clicking around with the magical powers of Ctrl + Shift + + to add a new column in Excel.
Step 2: Press Ctrl + Shift + +
To insert a column quickly in Microsoft Excel, use a simple keyboard shortcut. By pressing a combination of Ctrl, Shift and the plus sign (+), you can add a new column right away.
Here’s how to do it:
- Select the cell where you want to insert a new column.
- Press and hold down Ctrl + Shift simultaneously on your keyboard.
- Next, press the plus sign (+) key while still holding down Ctrl + Shift.
- A new column will appear on the left of the selected cell.
- If you want to add more than one column at once, select multiple cells before using the shortcut keys.
- Once finished with inserting columns, release all keys held down while executing this action.
Now that we know how to insert columns using this keyboard combination let’s look at other things if it doesn’t work. Check whether you’ve got Compatibility mode enabled within Excel. Compatibility mode is intended to make files more accessible for those using older versions of Excel. However, it could counteract some features found in newer versions of Excel.
As an Excel user for years now, I’ve always relied on shortcuts like these here and there to save time and energy. One day, I had forgotten about this keyboard shortcut when working with large data sets in Excel, and my project seemed never-ending until I remembered it again!
Looks like the keyboard shortcut has some competition – time to give the mouse a chance to shine in Excel.
Mouse Shortcut to Insert Column in Excel
Want to quickly and easily insert a column in Excel? Follow this guide for the keyboard shortcut method. If using the mouse, it’s a cinch! Just select the column, then right-click and select Insert. That’s it!
Step 1: Select the Column beside where you want to Insert a new Column
To insert a new column in Excel, start by selecting the adjacent column to where you want to add the new one. Here’s how to do it:
- Click on any cell in the column that comes after (or before) where you want to insert a new one.
- Press and hold the ‘Shift’ key on your keyboard.
- Use the right arrow key to select the entire adjacent column. This will highlight all the cells within that column.
- Release the ‘Shift’ key once you have selected all of the cells.
- Right-click on any of the highlighted cells and select “Insert” from the menu that appears.
- The new column will be inserted and all of the data in your worksheet will automatically adjust accordingly.
It is important to select only one adjacent column, since selecting two or more columns will insert multiple blank columns instead of just one.
Pro tip: You can also use this method with rows – just select an adjacent row instead of an adjacent column, then follow steps 2-6 above to insert a new row into your worksheet!
Finally, a right-click that won’t make you feel left out: Inserting a column in Excel the keyboard shortcut way.
Step 2: Right-click and select Insert
To add a column in Excel using the keyboard shortcut, you can use the right-click method. Simply choose the cell where you want to insert a new column and then right-click on it to reveal a dropdown menu.
- Select ‘Insert’ from the dropdown menu
- Choose ‘Entire Column’ to insert a blank column between two columns or select ‘Shift Cells Right’ to move existing columns over one space.
- Press OK, and voila! Your new column has been added.
It’s important to note that this method only works if there is an empty cell to the right of your current selection. If there isn’t an empty cell present, Excel will prompt you with an error message.
Pro Tip: Using keyboard shortcuts like this one can help you save time and improve productivity while working in Excel.
FAQs about How To Insert A Column In Excel: The Keyboard Shortcut Way
1. How do I insert a column in Excel using the keyboard shortcut way?
To insert a column in Excel using the keyboard shortcut way, you need to press the “Ctrl” key on your keyboard and the plus sign (+) simultaneously. This can be done multiple times to insert multiple columns.
2. Are there any other keyboard shortcuts for inserting a column in Excel?
Yes, there is another keyboard shortcut for inserting a column in Excel. You can press the “Ctrl” key, “Shift” key, and the plus sign (+) to insert a column.
3. Can I customize keyboard shortcuts for inserting a column in Excel?
Yes, you can customize keyboard shortcuts for inserting a column in Excel. Go to the “File” menu, click on “Options,” select “Customize Ribbon,” then click on “Customize” beside “Keyboard Shortcuts.”
4. Will inserting a new column delete my existing data in Excel?
No, inserting a new column will not delete your existing data in Excel. The new column will be inserted to the right of your current column, pushing the existing data to the right.
5. How can I insert a column with specific formatting in Excel?
You can insert a column with specific formatting by selecting the column that has the desired formatting, pressing “Ctrl” + “C” to copy it, and then selecting the column where you want to apply the formatting. Press “Ctrl” + “Alt” + “V” followed by “E” to paste the formatting.
6. Can I insert a column to the left of my current column in Excel?
Yes, you can insert a column to the left of your current column in Excel. First, select the column where you want to insert the new column to the left of. Then, press “Ctrl” + “Shift” + “+”.